Monday, August 30, 2004

I love my job and I hate my job

Working in the media can be very rewarding, there are times when I wonder if they realize that they are paying me to do something I probably would do for free. Then there are the days when I wish I had stayed in college and never took a job in news. I really think it is rude and thoughtless when we are sent to interview someone who just lost their family member or a close friend. Do you really think a person wants a camera shoved in their face following a tragic event. However this is how it works, there are people out there who wish they had my job and would do anything to get my job . Everyday I am approached by someone asking how do they get a job like mine, I use to enjoy answering that question the first 10,000 times, and if you don't believe me just ask anyone in the media they will tell you they get the same questions. If I may give you a little advice, If you could look for another profession please do. We are the first responders, during a disaster, except all we are armed with is a Camera or a pen and a paper..We don't have safety suits and we don't carry guns (or at least admit to it) and everyone is not making a shitload of money.

I have seen almost every way there is to die, Body parts, burned parts maggot covered parts. There are days when I only get one hour of sleep because we have to feed the news monster... When it rains we are standing outside telling you its raining, if its snowing and 20 below zero we are standing in the snow telling you its snowing and if it's 110 degrees outside we are standing there telling you you could fry an egg on the sidewalk as if you are too dumb to look out the window and see what the weather is. So what make me say I can't believe they pay me for working in the media? Its the 1% of the stories I cover that make a difference and the story that give you a adrenaline rush like no other for me gun play gives me a rush I can't begin to describe, capturing that 20 seconds of video that makes you say wow!!! Or beating my competitor to a breaking news story, and covering real news. But when a bridge collapses in China and management wants us to find a local angle to a story that took place in China that really pisses me off. Weekend news is the worst there is at best two photographers on duty so you don't get the real good local stories but never fear they cover the same story on Monday because Mondays are the "quick find the newspaper" we need a story day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home